Case Sensitive Template Designation

When creating a child theme in WordPress, this codex is more than adequate to get rolling. However, I did run into one bump this go around. The name input for “Template:” is case sensitive.

This style.css header:

/*
 Theme Name:   Twenty Fifteen Child
 Theme URI:    http://example.com/twenty-fifteen-child/
 Description:  Twenty Fifteen Child Theme
 Author:       John Doe
 Author URI:   http://example.com
 Template:     twentyfifteen
 ...
*/

is not the same as:

/*
 Theme Name:   Twenty Fifteen Child
 Theme URI:    http://example.com/twenty-fifteen-child/
 Description:  Twenty Fifteen Child Theme
 Author:       John Doe
 Author URI:   http://example.com
 Template:     Twentyfifteen
 ...
*/

Now you know, and perhaps I can remember!

Importer Not Functioning

I have loads of posts, but the WordPress importer doesn’t like WordPress 3.9.1 in the slightest. Hopefully, they’ll resolve this soon. This importer has worked famously up until now. I tested a few other importers, and nothing is working with the file that WordPress exported (in WordPress format). Well, that’s a little frustrating.

[Tweet “The WordPress Importer plug-in is not working with WP 3.9.1 @WordPress”]

The plugin: http://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-importer/

My post in their support forum:
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/upload-doesnt-happen

Update 6/25/14: There’s one response to my support forum post. At least I know I’m not the only one!

My next step is to turn on debugging. If that doesn’t result in any clues, then I’ll export the blog in a different format (CSV, perhaps) and try a different kind of importer. If THAT doesn’t work, I’ll just have to move the posts manually (ugh). Thankfully, this is a fairly unique circumstance at this point. However, I’m surprised that it isn’t easier to export and import to and from WordPress. It should be.

Update 7/17/14: I gave up on the WordPress Importer when I found this article: “Best 10 Free WordPress Plugins.” I installed the WP CSV plug-in on my old blog, and installed the Really Simple CSV Importer plug-in on this blog. That did the trick!

Now to clean things up a bit around here.

White Screen of Death

This fun little problem has occupied me for long enough that I figure it’s time to blog about it. Who knows? It might help someone else!

I’m installing WordPress  into a sub-folder of the root. I followed the 5-Minute install directions, and when I ran the install.php file, it gave me bubkis. This isn’t my first time at the WordPress installation rodeo, but it is my first “White Screen of Death.” Awesome.

Stuff that Does NOT Work

I found the following steps on various web pages, and none of them worked.

  1. Add an .htaccess file to the subdirectory to make sure WP knows to go to index.php.
  2. Remove extra blank lines from the beginning or the end of the code.
    This advice was given A LOT and it didn’t make sense to me at all. Why would that work?!
    I tried it anyway, and much to my relief, it did exactly as I expected… nothing!
  3. Remove the “-” from any theme directories. I actually had one in there, so I removed it.
    This advice is a little silly too… hyphens are perfectly valid characters, but I’m getting to the point where I’ll try anything.
  4. Corrupt plug-ins are also to blame (apparently), but I don’t have any plug-ins yet since it hasn’t successfully installed at all.
  5. I’ve tried various other tips, but I tire of listing the stuff that doesn’t work!

Broken Theme Idea

The most useful site I reference was from BlueHost, and the broken theme idea got me thinking… have I jacked with these settings too much for them to have any hope of working?

I deleted the whole thing, and started over leaving out the themes I want to use for now. I wanted to remove that variable. I also removed the variable introduced Dreamweaver CS3, my editor. Like the instructions said, I used a straight up text editor to update the wp-config file. This last precaution is probably overkill, but I’m wanting to leave nothing to chance at this point! (Dreamweaver does update files when you change file names, after all.)

White Screen of Death. Grrrr…
added .htaccess back in (because that makes sense to me) … still nothing

Permissions

I’ve read and pondered a lot about permissions issues. So, I took to comparing the working installation vs. the broken one. I found two bits:

  1. The wp-content folder needs write permissions.
  2. The MySQL user permissions are USAGE (permission to connect and and perform basic commands only).

Regarding the MySQL user permissions:
WordPress recommends to GRANT ALL permissions. GoDaddy creates the database and it’s user with USAGE permissions. I was unsuccessful in changing that. Furthermore, GoDaddy GRANT access is set to NO.

Still Not Working

I won’t give up, though.