Playing with Fonts

I’m finally getting something together for, and I found myself very lost in the world of fonts. Google does it again! I love their Fonts. It’s a fun interface to play through and experiment with, and it was super easy when I finally settled on the font I wanted to use.

I got the design from another favorite site to visit and browse through for ideas: Free CSS Templates This is the first time I took one of their designs and just used the thing as is. Sometimes, it’s just an idea here or there. Fantastic site.

Color Color Everywhere

Colors play a huge role in web design, graphics design, crafting, scrapbooking…

Here are two sites I’ve found and love to use again and again.

White Screen of Death

This fun little problem has occupied me for long enough that I figure it’s time to blog about it. Who knows? It might help someone else!

I’m installing WordPress  into a sub-folder of the root. I followed the 5-Minute install directions, and when I ran the install.php file, it gave me bubkis. This isn’t my first time at the WordPress installation rodeo, but it is my first “White Screen of Death.” Awesome.

Stuff that Does NOT Work

I found the following steps on various web pages, and none of them worked.

  1. Add an .htaccess file to the subdirectory to make sure WP knows to go to index.php.
  2. Remove extra blank lines from the beginning or the end of the code.
    This advice was given A LOT and it didn’t make sense to me at all. Why would that work?!
    I tried it anyway, and much to my relief, it did exactly as I expected… nothing!
  3. Remove the “-” from any theme directories. I actually had one in there, so I removed it.
    This advice is a little silly too… hyphens are perfectly valid characters, but I’m getting to the point where I’ll try anything.
  4. Corrupt plug-ins are also to blame (apparently), but I don’t have any plug-ins yet since it hasn’t successfully installed at all.
  5. I’ve tried various other tips, but I tire of listing the stuff that doesn’t work!

Broken Theme Idea

The most useful site I reference was from BlueHost, and the broken theme idea got me thinking… have I jacked with these settings too much for them to have any hope of working?

I deleted the whole thing, and started over leaving out the themes I want to use for now. I wanted to remove that variable. I also removed the variable introduced Dreamweaver CS3, my editor. Like the instructions said, I used a straight up text editor to update the wp-config file. This last precaution is probably overkill, but I’m wanting to leave nothing to chance at this point! (Dreamweaver does update files when you change file names, after all.)

White Screen of Death. Grrrr…
added .htaccess back in (because that makes sense to me) … still nothing


I’ve read and pondered a lot about permissions issues. So, I took to comparing the working installation vs. the broken one. I found two bits:

  1. The wp-content folder needs write permissions.
  2. The MySQL user permissions are USAGE (permission to connect and and perform basic commands only).

Regarding the MySQL user permissions:
WordPress recommends to GRANT ALL permissions. GoDaddy creates the database and it’s user with USAGE permissions. I was unsuccessful in changing that. Furthermore, GoDaddy GRANT access is set to NO.

Still Not Working

I won’t give up, though.